I AM A QUALIFIED AND CERTIFIED ADVANCED DORN METHOD THERAPIST
Back Pain? Neck Pain? Sciatica?
Have your been told to just “put up” with your pain?
Do you live on painkillers?
The Dorn Method originated in Germany over 40 years ago.
It is a gentle, non-manipulative treatment with full client participation and includes home exercises to help the healing process.
I would be delighted to help you, so please contact me for an appointment by text, e-mail or the old fashioned telephone!
PAIN – THE FACTS!
- 80% of people will suffer back pain at some point in their lives
- One Billion pounds a year is spent on painkillers!
- If you have any bulging discs, this will cause pressure on nerves to cause pain
- Pain can double your heart rate, increase your cortisone and stress levels and also affect your mind
Muscles will turn into fat if you don’t exercise; use them or lose them!
SOFT TISSUE INJURIES – R I C E
REST (to reduce swelling) for a maximum of 20 minutes a day.
ICE (brings down the swelling) but don’t put this directly onto your skin. Bag of frozen peas recommended.
COMPRESSION (brings down the swelling). Use a tight stocking, for example.
ELEVATE the injury above your heart.
A disease of the joints which causes stiffness and pain. There are 8 million sufferers in the UK. Move the joints more and lose weight, if necessary, to alleviate the pain.
The following information has been extracted, by kind permission of Brigitte Nath, from her website:
Highlight the above link to copy and paste into your browser for more information, or simply click on one of the questions below, which will take you directly to the website.
Dorn Method Frequently Asked Questions
Who benefits from the DORN METHOD?
The Dorn Method was developed as a therapy which focuses on the alleviation of common back and joint pain including neck pain, the hip, knees, shoulder, jaw, etc., and correction of leg length difference. Dorn is also used with clients who suffer from Migraines or headaches. The therapy aims to restore balance to the body, moving joints and vertebrae back to their natural correct positions, consequentially Dorn may also have beneficial effects on other related common health problems. Please ask your Dorn therapist for advice but always remember to ask the advice of your GP for any chronic or serious health problems.
When is the DORN METHOD not suitable?
The Dorn Method is not suitable for the following conditions:
- Acute inflammation or fever
- Acute migraine attacks
- Any recent accidents
- Post surgery of discs
- Acute prolapsed disc(s)
- Ongoing cortisone medication due to possible brittle bones
What is the main cause of leg length difference?
Sitting with crossed legs, wrong sitting positions and wrong stretching exercises can cause a subluxation of the hip joint and lead to a difference in leg length. When sitting and crossing legs the femural head (bone of the upper leg) is levered out of its natural position in the hip socket, because in a sitting position the muscles around the hip joint are relaxed and do not stabilize the joint as they would while standing.
The same happens when bending down with straight legs or every time we stretch our hip joint to an angle less than 90 degrees. Long sitting in a car also shows this result. This mechanism happens to everybody, no matter of age, already after one single wrong movement.
Is the DORN METHOD a safe treatment?
This form of manual therapy can be considered very safe since the adjustments are only done in co-operation with the client during the movement of the joint to be adjusted. Dorn involves no thrust moves or use of heavy force. The therapy never goes past the personal pain limit of the client so injury is basically not possible. There are no reports of any problems in the 40 years history of the Dorn Method.
Does the DORN METHOD use medication or surgery?
No. Using the Dorn Method only gentle manual adjustments are done with the hands and without any tools or medication or surgery.
How many sessions are necessary to correct misaligned joints and spinal problems?
There is no set number of treatments and in many cases one treatment can already help. In a few cases up to three treatments are recommended and in long existing conditions several month of therapy might be necessary.
Is the DORN METHOD similar to Chiropractic?
The Dorn Method is different in many aspects. Although the aims are the same, namely a correction of misalignments and focusing on the relief of back and joint pain, the way this is achieved varies to a great extent. During Dorn therapy all correction is carried out using dynamic motion, with the client co-operating actively with the therapist. As all correction is carried out gently using motion, the client will experience no feelings of ‘clicking’ or ‘crunching’.
How can the DORN METHOD help children and teenagers?
The Dorn Method can balance leg length differences in children before potentially developing into problems for their hips and ultimately their backs.
Regular check ups in children and adolescents help prevent or treat the negative side effects of heavy schoolbags and long hours in “cool postures” or in front of computers. Easy self help exercises make it more likely for children and teenagers to look after themselves. The Dorn Method is perfect for the prevention of back problems in children and young adults.
How does the body react to a Dorn Therapy?
The body may show the following reactions usually up to 3 days.
- Dull muscular pain (like after a heavy gym work out)
- Light pressure pain on the correction points
- Muscle tension at the corrected areas
- Detoxification signs like sweating, flu-like symptoms, changes in toilet habits or even an awakening of hidden and unsolved inner issues
It is advised to avoid any strains on the back or carrying heavy, uneven loads for 3-4 days. This is the period during which the corrected positions are very sensitive to pressure and a dull muscular pain may occur. The system of muscles, ligaments and connective tissues needs this time to adjust to the new position of the joints and vertebrae. A lot of water should be drunk during this period to aid elimination of waste, excess acids, salts and toxins. On repositioning the vertebrae, the discs are also moved with them. In time, slipped discs usually move back into place between the vertebrae on their own. We also refer to this as a Healing Crisis and it should be counted as positive because it shows that the body is starting to adjust.
DORN METHOD CLIENT INFORMATION AND HOMEWORK REMINDER!
After a Dorn Therapy, the body often shows the following reactions:
- Dull muscular pain (like after a heavy gym workout) up to three days after treatment
- Light pressure pains on the correction points
- Muscle tension at the corrected areas (for example, a stiff neck)
- Detoxification signs: sweating, changes in toilet habits, unclean skin, “flu-like” symptoms
- Awakening of hidden and unsolved psychological issues
- YOU FEEL BETTER!
Things to DO after a Dorn Therapy:
- Watch for correct posture at all times (sitting, standing, lifting, sleeping etc)
- Drink plenty of good water and/or herbal teas to assist kidney function in the detoxification process
- Do the Dorn Method self help exercises daily!! (Don’t do them if they cause any pain though)
- Massage your buttocks muscles several times daily for a few minutes to avoid sciatic pain
- Daily walking for a minimum of 20 minutes with good flat shoes is recommended
- Maintain a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, and high quality food supplements
- Reduce alcohol and nicotine intake to assist the detoxification process
- Try to avoid stressful situations! Get plenty of fresh air with enough sunlight and rest
- Pain due to any inflammations will also lead to muscle tension and should be treated with medication or herbal medicine which helps the muscles to relax and reduce pain. Magnesium and Vitamin E are very good in this case but you could also ask your Doctor for pain medication, if necessary
- Stress management therapies such as Massages, Reflexology, Reiki and Mediation are recommended
Things NOT to Do after a Dorn Therapy:
- No heavy exercises for a few days; best to rest and give the body time for healing
- No stretching! Avoid stretching the hip joint more than 90◦ with knee turned inwards
- No bending down over the side whilst lifting even light objects
- No turning in the hips with both feet on the floor and more than 45◦
- Absolutely NO sitting with crossed legs
Usual results after a Dorn Therapy:
- Client leaves without pain and relaxed, and stays like that, or
- Client has less pain and condition improves within a few days, or
- Client has little change but improves later when doing the self-help exercises, or
- Client experiences first a worsening of the conditions but improves with rest
In the rare case that there is no improvement of any pre-existing condition, another Dorn Therapy may be necessary and it is recommended this take place within one to four weeks from the first treatment.
If there is no improvement after three sessions, then the following might apply:
- There is another physical cause for the pain. Consult a Doctor for further assessment
- Client is not following the advice of the Dorn Therapist i.e. not doing the self-help exercises
- Client wants to stay in pain (for example, gets more attention when not feeling well!)
- There are psychological (inner) issues behind the problems (for example, stress, emotional or spiritual imbalance etc). Changes in life-style should be considered!
In case of unexpected reactions (not mentioned above) please contact your Therapist as soon as possible for further advice.
1ST TREATMENT, INCLUDING FULL CONSULTATION (60 to 75 minutes) £50.00
ALL SUBSEQUENT TREATMENTS, INCLUDING BREUSS MASSAGE (45 to 60 minutes) £40.00
OR PAY IN ADVANCE FOR 3 TREATMENTS FOR £110.00 (Saving £20.00)